Monday, May 19, 2014

Packing….., Packing….., Packed….!!

So it’s done…. Both myself & Fiona are packed and ready to go. This time tomorrow, we’ll be somewhere over the Pacific on our way to Santiago in Chile.

Packing is a necessary evil, which if I am lucky, will mean that I have everything I need and nothing I don’t. In the past I have found that there is always some little item or piece of clothing that gets missed off the list, which will only be remembered when it’s too late. This time around I have had 3 solid days to get it right so let hope I am not carrying anything I don't need...

So now that the packing is done, it’s now my traditional chance to choose who I think will win the World Cup…?

I am not sure anyone out there would be too surprised to know that I would back Brazil as the possible world champions in 2014. The Cup has been won by the hosts more times than not, and so far, no European team has ever won the World Cup when it is played in South America. So the omen are there, and if the passion of the fans alone was enough to guarantee the win, then Brazil would be odds-on.

Spain, Germany and Holland should be there or there abouts, and Argentina will have something to say about it too. If I was going to choose a dark horse to pull off a surprise win, I might be persuaded to put some money on Uruguay, who will be playing on almost home ground. With Suarez & Forlan up front for Uruguay, anything is possible.

And of the teams we generally follow…?

England are in transition, with a mix of old & young players, and not very strong this time round. They have a tough group and they will do very well to get out of the group D and make to the next stage. Not impossible…

USA and Australia both have a very difficult groups to get out of to make any progress in the competition. It will be a miracle if USA get a result against either Germany or Ghana in group G, and likewise, Australia will need to pull off a sequence of unlikely results against Spain & Holland to get out of group B. That won’t stop us cheering them on….

Next update will be from Chile…. 

Hasta pronto mis amigos

No comments:

Post a Comment